Monday, July 13, 2009

Camp: Staff Training

On the Saturday after returning home from my wonderful trip abroad to meet all of you, I left my comfortable bed to drive up to Auburn to a camp I had never been to. There I met the rest of the camp staff at Yaiewano. Since I was going to be 2 hours early I also was able to stop for about 10 min to visit with a friend from Uni. Everyone at camp goes by a camp name so the campers can spend all week trying to guess our real name. Some of you guys helped me pick my name but if you weren't aware I'm getting called Ranga all summer. It's very funny to hear people try to pronounce it correctly and I have about 60 people saying it a week. The staff finally has it almost 100% correct after two full weeks.
Anyway: Training was time for us to learn about each other, learn some of the Yai rules, get familiar with the camp, and make real s'mores. Not that I did not appreciate our attempts at smores in Australia but you can't beat graham crackers and real marshmallows. Plus Hershey chocolate. After 3 days at Yai we moved down to Misty Hollow. All of the staff, except me hated moving down here. Something about only 4 showers and 6 flush toilets on the whole camp. But I went to day camp and helped at day camp here for 3 summers total so it's my 'home' Girl Scout camp. My resident camp staff joined for a day with the Day Camp staff and the barn staff before the day camp staff moved on to their second camp and we took over. The week was horrible weather and it rained off and on all day long. Usually that's not too much of a problem but there are big hills between the A-Frames where we lived and the dining hall (main camp). A few more days of setting up camp, bonding through mall trips, mini golf, and icecream, and preparing for the next campers including a horse back trail ride. That Friday I caught a lift up to Yai where my car was to head off to weekend fun. Now I'm off to Arts and Crafts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment