Sunday, July 26, 2009

Camp Overview Weeks 2-3

Bits and Pieces/Saddles and Spurs was the unit I worked with for the second week at Misty Hollow. The 16 girls lived in the A-Frames along with Nemo and Barbie as the other counselors and Steeple (Kitchen Aide). This was as special education of a week of camp we were allowed to have without being a special education camp. We had many special needs campers throughout all of camp which made it more difficult. Things such as waking campers up in the morning and telling them to change became 20 min activities because they all needed to change in the bathroom. Thankfully, we had a pavilion and a showerhouse with two toilets and 2 showers. The week went well although they were unable to go on a trail ride and I couldn’t ride with them. I was able to ride only twice that week which was a bit disappointing. However, a good point was my secret buddy got me lots more cool things so I had something to look forward to. I got an paper airmail box with a didgeridoo, boomerang, safari hat, and map of Australia (with Sydney in one of the corners but not the correct one) cut out of cardboard plus an article. Sapphire who worked in the barn was my secret buddy so I also got a small horse and candy. For cook-out we made the traditional hobo pie/mountain pie pizzas or grilled cheeses followed by s’mores. Another cool thing was two of my former Brownie Girl Scouts (Gumnuts) were in my group so I could see how they had grown up from 1st grade to 4th grade. Fun part was they couldn’t remember my name, even though one swims with my brother, so they couldn’t guess my name. The theme of the week was Country Western.
Week 3 was a short week at Yaiewano. We had a day of staff training which included a few cleaning jobs, mowing the lake of seaweed, mini-golf and ice-cream, and moving in. I was assigned the 14 Short Stop girls in Fawn. They were entering grades 2-4 but this was their first time at camp so they arrived Tuesday for a three night program instead of the usual five day program. The other group in Moose was the same idea but called Try-Yai for girls entering grades 4-6. Panther (the final unit used during most of the summer) was girls who had Program Aide training but most of them were perfectly fine at camp. They can now help at day camps or with troops. Activities included swimming daily, a motor boat ride, a polar bear swim at 6:15 am that I skipped, and arts and crafts. The theme of the week was Welcome to the Jungle and included a jungle breakfast during Lazy Lady Day. On Lazy Lady day we are supposed to be able to sleep in then just get up for our first activity. However, my other counselors decided that the girls needed to clean the cabin before breakfast so I had to wake them up 1.5 hours early (6:30). They finished super early and were left bored. Thankfully we had limited homesickness and problems, especially compared to our expectations. I lived with Bean, Nigel, and Steeple (Lifeguard now). We had a bit of problems working with each other and one day was crazy as everything in the schedule got changed. The health inspector came, activities got moved and changed, and other things. But Friday came quickly and with rain during the final program the campers were all gone within 45 min so we got to leave an hour early ☺.

No comments:

Post a Comment